The Wright Seaplane Base is one of the first seaplane bases in the world. It is located at the bend of the Miami River between Moraine and West Carrollton.
After their famous 1902 flight, as Orville and Wilbur Wright developed their airplanes through the years, they began adding pontoons to their aircraft and created a hydro-aeroplane or seaplane. After Wilbur died in 1912, Orville continued to develop and fly airplanes. Orville would tow the seaplane in two separate sections and assemble them on the banks of the river in the Miami Shores area of Moraine. Orville can be seen in Photo #3 standing knee deep in the river making final adjustments to the seaplane. Orville made over 100 flights in 1913 and 1914 often with passengers in the Wright Model C-H hydro-aeroplane. This area of the river had three advantages: (1) deep water (2) freedom from man-made obstructions (3) ability to take off and land east-west or north-south depending on the prevailing winds.
In 1914, the improved Model G Aeroboat had a solid hull or fuselage with a semi-enclosed cockpit. The aircraft was 28 feet long, a wingspan of 38 feet and weighed 1,250 pounds. Powered by two rear-mounted engines and propelled by twin pusher propellers, the seaplane had a top speed of 60 miles per hour.
A Moraine Historical Marker for the “Wright Seaplane Base” is located at the eastbound side of the Main Street Bridge and an Ohio Historical Marker is erected along the Miami Valley Recreational Trail bikepath just south of the bridge.