Construction began in 1835 and was completed in 1845. Beginning in Toledo and ending in Cincinnati the canal created a water route from Lake Erie to the Ohio River. Boats of up to 80 feet long (Photo #2) were towed along the canal by donkeys, horses or oxen on a prepared towpath.
The canal ran north and south through Moraine where Dryden Road and Arbor Blvd are today. The canal entered from the north at Carillon Park and exited to the south into West Carrollton. Canal Lock #22 was located on the corner of Dryden Road and East River Road. The canal was abandoned for commercial use after the historic 1913 flood damaged it.
The Moraine Historical Marker for the “Miami & Erie Canal” is located at the corner of Dryden Road and East River Road.