Expedition Team: Dave Miller, Rosie Miller
Date: June 19, 2022
Called the “Chapel in the Dakota Badlands”, the church is the oldest Catholic Church still in use in the state of North Dakota. The church was built in 1884 by Peter Book, an employee of Marquis de Mores, the founder of Medora. De Mores wife, Medora, whom the town is named after contracted to have the church built. On Sunday evening after hiking all day in Teddy Roosevelt National Park we stopped by the vacant church and surprisingly found the doors unlocked. We entered and viewed the small but beautiful church. We sat at a pew for an hour and watched mass online and prayed. It was quiet and peaceful. The historical church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.