Expedition Team: Dave Miller, Rosie Miller
Date: 2013 & 2017
Completed by the Spanish in 1695 to protect their treasure fleets from the British and pirates, this structure is the oldest masonry fort and the only 17th century fort in existence in the USA. Located at the western shore of Matanzas Bay downtown, this fort is across from the entrance to Old Town. The garrison has been occupied by the Spanish, British, the Confederacy and the US at various times in the past centuries. We crossed the drawbridge into the old fort and spent two hours exploring every room, the prison, jail, reading the kiosks, and enjoying the special exhibits set up of old weapons and tools.